Kitty Profiles

Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Pet Grief Observed: Part 4

On October 8th it will be 4 weeks... an entire month... since I said goodbye to Donovan. In many ways it feels like a lifetime since I last held her or heard her overwhelmingly loud purr. In other ways it feels like it was only yesterday that she died. I have shed tears for her every day since that morning. I still miss her horribly. She truly left a hole in my heart; or maybe she filled a hole?

I don't know for certain if she was abused, but I do know she was abandoned. Rejection is a season I know full well. We shared an understanding of what it was like to be hurt and took comfort in the joy of having each other. She showed me you can still offer love after going through pain. I wasn't the one who taught her it's ok to trust, she helped teach me that. I didn't know her as a kitten nor did I watch her grow, but I shared the golden years with her and refused to allow her to die alone. The best way I can describe Donovan is she was a gift and I thank God that He allowed her to come to my front door.

Earlier, I wrote about my desire to honor Donovan's life and the treasure she was to me. I considered donating money in her name to a local no-kill rescue group, but I hesitated. It was only yesterday when I realized I was meant to give to an incredible woman who lives on the other side of the country, but is dedicated to saving cats. Call us kindred spirits perhaps. I wanted to encourage her and also to carry on the act of giving which Donovan showered on me.

In response to donating to her cause, she made such a sweet thoughtful gesture that pulled at my heartstrings and really meant so much to me. She named one of the kitties she's caring for after my Donovan! Here is a picture of Donovan's namesake (the black and white kitty in front):


I love this picture. I love this cat. Look how healthy and happy she is. Look at that "smile!" This simple act of naming a kitty after Donovan brought happy tears for once. Thank you MA. Although we are strangers, I consider you a dear friend for you offer rare kindness and love to amazing animals and to a person you don't even know.

2 comments:

LG said...

How wonderful that Donovan's legacy is continuing in such a powerful way! Her love and devotion keeps giving! Her namesake is adorable. I don't think I've ever seen a kitty smile like that. I know it makes you smile Mama, and that is a beautiful sight to see!

AbbiKat said...

Yes this namesake kitty certainly brings a smile to Momma's face. If she wasn't on the other side of the country I really think Momma would have adopted her!